- Versatile use of nickel-based super alloy Inconel 718 in the aviation industry (eg for turbine discs)
- Notable achievable increase in component life due to mechanical surface treatments such as shot peening and deep rolling
- Quantitative description of the influence of residual stresses and hardening on crack initiation and crack propagation are not available yet
Development of a model for lifetime prediction in dependence of the residual stress and the hardening state on the basis of fracture mechanics.
- Characterization of surface states and their stability under cyclic thermal loading and after various shot peening and deep rolling
- Endurance studies; Determination of SN curves
- Crack propagation experiments